For any newbies to quilting I would definitely suggest joining a Quilt Bee! Here are a few of my own personal reasons that will hopefully encourage some of you out there to join in the fun!!
- It's a great way to get know other talented and like minded people, you may even get the chance to meet them in person as I did at the Fat Quarterly retreat which was so much fun!
- It really has helped develop my quilting knowledge and skill by making blocks that I would have otherwise not have tried.
- I have discovered an amazing array of wonderful blogs and tutorial sites that have inspired me greatly.
- I have been able to work with some wonderful fabrics that I never get to see in the shops near me and from actually seeing these in person I felt more comfortable when buying them on line without being to see and feel them first!
- Finally when it is your month and all your blocks are back you have a wonderful range of blocks ready to be made into a quilt!! (As yet mine are still blocks - a quilt/s is on my to do list for 2013!) For the few years that I have been taking part in quilt bees I usually went with a set block so each finished block is the same but I have loved it when we have been given a bit more free choice and the recipient gets back a range of personal blocks, something I think I might try in the future!
Here are my recent blocks:
great video tutorial here:
great tutorial here: