Skip to main content

Finding a treasure!

I've wanted something for a long time.
I'd been busy looking but no luck.
Then I could not believe my eyes when I came across one a few weeks ago!
My lovely new sewing box!


I had been searching for one of these for a while. I have lots and lots of storage boxes for all my crafting items, but I just wanted one of these and when I went into a Charity shop and spied this I could not believe my eyes. I looked at it first glance and thought it was in fairly good condition but needed a little bit of work, so I carried on around the shop. BUT THEN someone else started looking at it, feeling slightly nauseous, heart pounding I rushed over and picked it up quickly! (Lesson learned in Charity shops if you see something you like don't be indecisive like me - pick it up straight away!)
Now it did not have a price on it so I went to ask and thought if they ask some stupid price then I'll keep on looking. But no can you guess how much?
£3!!!
Yes £3 - can you believe it!
So I'm busy fixing it up, its a little bit rickety and needs some TLC and I hope to have it finished by tonight - so photos tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zippy pouches

Remember the QAYG panels from yesterday?
Ta-da! Here they are made into new zippy pouches!

These were so much fun to make and I'm kinda in love with them :)
I used the open wide zippered pouch tutorial from Noodlehead, although I went with my own measurements based on the panels I made and added a little divided pocket to the large pouch. They have a really good firm structure due to the wadding from the QAYG method, and although the QAYG method did take a bit more time than using a single fabric I really like the finished texture and feel of them.

Some people on IG and Flickr asked how I managed to get the stitching so neat. If you look really closely it's not perfect! I used Coats Cotton in white to sew with both as top thread and in the bobbin, stitch length 2.5 (on my Bernina 1005) and my 1/4 inch foot. When I get to the end of a row all I do is keep the needle in the work, lift up the presser foot, pivot, carefully raise the needle and move the work over so the edge of th…

Presenting the new restyled - refashioned sewing box!

Well it's finished - and I'm really pleased with it!
It may not be to every ones taste but it needed to have a little bit of pink in there somewhere!


After taking it apart completely, sanding it down, priming it, spray painting it, trying to put it back together in one go and then lining the compartment it was all worth it. It's been a learning curve!
This is also the first time that I've used spray paint - I'm normally a paint and paint brush kind of girl but now I'm a total convert and can see an addiction forming!
It's definitely worth paying the extra for the can of primer but the UK weather does not help when you're trying to spray paint and the wind is blowing and it's threatening rain!!
Now all I need to do is fill it with all my sewing bits and bobs!


Photos are not of great quality as it is so dull here at the moment! More photos over on flickr!