Skip to main content

Freezer paper piecing

Remember the Fat Quarterly Retreat? Yep not mentioned it around here for a few posts but it is still fresh in my mind!
There were a few classes at the retreat where I started a project but didn't have time to finish (too busy chatting!) and I really didn't want to leave them in my unfinished projects box to be forgotten about for years to come!
So I finished a couple of spools blocks from the Freezer Paper piecing class with Kerry. I started sewing these by hand at the retreat and finished them off on machine at home. Now they have become a cute pincushion! I think the spools blocks are fab!
Front ~
 
Back ~
~ Message for Angela who left a comment on the Frame Purse post: Sorry I couldn't contact you direct as you are a no-reply blogger but the frame I used is from U-Handbag. Great supplies and quick delivery!

Linking up with Canoe Ridge Creations: {sew} modern monday!

Comments

It's soooo adorable!! I love it! I've been wanting to try paper piecing for a while, just haven't gotten around to it! :)
Lily said…
Really cute pattern. Just got home from a trip to the UK. Too bad my trip didn't coincide with the retreat! Glad it was fun!
Pippa Parsons said…
ohhh I was looking through the retreat edition of FQ and printed out the instructions, gonna have a look at it over the school hols, was contemplating hand stitching them while in the camper...was it easier on the machine ?
Maria said…
Really pretty and lovely colours.
Julie said…
That's a fun pin cushion! If I had a fun one like that maybe I'd actually use one!
Julie said…
Fun pin cushion! If I had a pin cushion like that maybe I'd actually use one instead of just tossing them on my desk to pick up later.

Popular posts from this blog

Zippy pouches

Remember the QAYG panels from yesterday?
Ta-da! Here they are made into new zippy pouches!

These were so much fun to make and I'm kinda in love with them :)
I used the open wide zippered pouch tutorial from Noodlehead, although I went with my own measurements based on the panels I made and added a little divided pocket to the large pouch. They have a really good firm structure due to the wadding from the QAYG method, and although the QAYG method did take a bit more time than using a single fabric I really like the finished texture and feel of them.

Some people on IG and Flickr asked how I managed to get the stitching so neat. If you look really closely it's not perfect! I used Coats Cotton in white to sew with both as top thread and in the bobbin, stitch length 2.5 (on my Bernina 1005) and my 1/4 inch foot. When I get to the end of a row all I do is keep the needle in the work, lift up the presser foot, pivot, carefully raise the needle and move the work over so the edge of th…

Presenting the new restyled - refashioned sewing box!

Well it's finished - and I'm really pleased with it!
It may not be to every ones taste but it needed to have a little bit of pink in there somewhere!


After taking it apart completely, sanding it down, priming it, spray painting it, trying to put it back together in one go and then lining the compartment it was all worth it. It's been a learning curve!
This is also the first time that I've used spray paint - I'm normally a paint and paint brush kind of girl but now I'm a total convert and can see an addiction forming!
It's definitely worth paying the extra for the can of primer but the UK weather does not help when you're trying to spray paint and the wind is blowing and it's threatening rain!!
Now all I need to do is fill it with all my sewing bits and bobs!


Photos are not of great quality as it is so dull here at the moment! More photos over on flickr!