This was such a fun way to spend a few hours in the evening and I was really pleased it was a workshop where I came away with a finished outcome (rather than something that gets put in a drawer, one day to be finished but never sees the light of day!).
We were each given a little kit that contained a chunky canvas, bits of fabric, organza, netting and scrim. Shown some amazing examples, clearly explained each stage and then off I went!
It was also great that the workshop was using my favourite machines - Bernina!
So after I had secured my fabric with bondaweb it was off to free machine embroider over all the different pieces. I went with a linear pattern.
Then when all my different pieces of fabric were stitched down the edges were trimmed and then neatened with a close zig zag
Then it was time to decide what kind of seedhead we wanted to embroider on. I did a bit of drawing by freehand first to get an idea of design and scale before heading off to the machine. This was the really scary part in case I sewed straight off in the wrong direction!
Canvas prepped ready for the embroidered picture
And ta da! You can see that when I got home I spray painted the canvas a chocolate brown colour before re attaching the embroidery