Skip to main content

Machine quilting

A while ago I attended a beginners machine quilting class with Ferret from Ferret Fabrications.
All I can say is that I've caught the quilting bug!!

One of my goals this year is to actually make a completed quilt. So far my adventures into quilting have all been about making individual blocks, which hey look great but don't really stretch too far over my lap or keep me warm!!

This class was so much fun. We spent the first part of the day covering the basics of machine quilting such as what type of needles to use. I learnt that you get about 8 hours out of a needle when quilting! I can't even remember the last time I changed the needle on the machine - so lesson well learnt!
We then looked at different types of thread that can be used, marking tools, quilt sandwiches, basting, tacking guns.... there was sooo much! Then it was time to start!
I was a bit afraid looking around the room at everyone's fancy machines that my little Bernina 1010 would not be able to cope, the only part that let me down was playing around with decorative stitches as I only have a handful on this machine, but otherwise my little B did me well.
We were shown and played around with so many great patterns, tried not to quilt to tiny in case you were having to machine quilt a large finished quilt and quilting particular areas to give texture. Here is my sample (play around) piece for the day:

 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zippy pouches

Remember the QAYG panels from yesterday?
Ta-da! Here they are made into new zippy pouches!

These were so much fun to make and I'm kinda in love with them :)
I used the open wide zippered pouch tutorial from Noodlehead, although I went with my own measurements based on the panels I made and added a little divided pocket to the large pouch. They have a really good firm structure due to the wadding from the QAYG method, and although the QAYG method did take a bit more time than using a single fabric I really like the finished texture and feel of them.

Some people on IG and Flickr asked how I managed to get the stitching so neat. If you look really closely it's not perfect! I used Coats Cotton in white to sew with both as top thread and in the bobbin, stitch length 2.5 (on my Bernina 1005) and my 1/4 inch foot. When I get to the end of a row all I do is keep the needle in the work, lift up the presser foot, pivot, carefully raise the needle and move the work over so the edge of th…

Presenting the new restyled - refashioned sewing box!

Well it's finished - and I'm really pleased with it!
It may not be to every ones taste but it needed to have a little bit of pink in there somewhere!


After taking it apart completely, sanding it down, priming it, spray painting it, trying to put it back together in one go and then lining the compartment it was all worth it. It's been a learning curve!
This is also the first time that I've used spray paint - I'm normally a paint and paint brush kind of girl but now I'm a total convert and can see an addiction forming!
It's definitely worth paying the extra for the can of primer but the UK weather does not help when you're trying to spray paint and the wind is blowing and it's threatening rain!!
Now all I need to do is fill it with all my sewing bits and bobs!


Photos are not of great quality as it is so dull here at the moment! More photos over on flickr!