Saturday, August 6, 2011

Machine quilting

A while ago I attended a beginners machine quilting class with Ferret from Ferret Fabrications.
All I can say is that I've caught the quilting bug!!

One of my goals this year is to actually make a completed quilt. So far my adventures into quilting have all been about making individual blocks, which hey look great but don't really stretch too far over my lap or keep me warm!!

This class was so much fun. We spent the first part of the day covering the basics of machine quilting such as what type of needles to use. I learnt that you get about 8 hours out of a needle when quilting! I can't even remember the last time I changed the needle on the machine - so lesson well learnt!
We then looked at different types of thread that can be used, marking tools, quilt sandwiches, basting, tacking guns.... there was sooo much! Then it was time to start!
I was a bit afraid looking around the room at everyone's fancy machines that my little Bernina 1010 would not be able to cope, the only part that let me down was playing around with decorative stitches as I only have a handful on this machine, but otherwise my little B did me well.
We were shown and played around with so many great patterns, tried not to quilt to tiny in case you were having to machine quilt a large finished quilt and quilting particular areas to give texture. Here is my sample (play around) piece for the day:

 
 

No comments: