Skip to main content

4x5 Modern Quilt Bee

So I've joined another Quilt Bee!!
This one is a bit different .....

About 4x5 modern Quilt Bee
The idea of this Modern Sampler Bee is where each block is constructed using a different pattern and even if two people make the same pattern, it will be made with different fabrics. We want to celebrate the talents and creativity of each other regardless of their experience level.

What’s in the name? The reason why it’s called the 4x5 Modern Bee is you’ll be swapping 4 times a year with 5 members. At the end of the year you should have 20 unique blocks to make a fabulous quilt! (taken from Flickr)



My fellow members in Hive 2 (I love that we've all been put into hive's!!) have all chosen lovely colour choices and put together some wonderful inspiration mosaics to help come up with fabric and block ideas. 
So I pulled all the fabric and spent ages umming and ahhing over which block to choose but finally decided on "Rocky Road to Kansas". 
Here is the fabric that I've pulled for each member and an example of the block (which I did not make):

So today there was a bit of this.....
and a bit of that......
and quite a few cups of tea in between to arrive at this sample block!
 I just need to make one for each of my hive members now!!
{P.S there is an amazing tutorial for this block at Fresh Lemons Quilts}



Comments

sukie said…
Love love love your block choice. I think your fabric choice is what makes the block awesome though! Great taste!

Popular posts from this blog

Zippy pouches

Remember the QAYG panels from yesterday?
Ta-da! Here they are made into new zippy pouches!

These were so much fun to make and I'm kinda in love with them :)
I used the open wide zippered pouch tutorial from Noodlehead, although I went with my own measurements based on the panels I made and added a little divided pocket to the large pouch. They have a really good firm structure due to the wadding from the QAYG method, and although the QAYG method did take a bit more time than using a single fabric I really like the finished texture and feel of them.

Some people on IG and Flickr asked how I managed to get the stitching so neat. If you look really closely it's not perfect! I used Coats Cotton in white to sew with both as top thread and in the bobbin, stitch length 2.5 (on my Bernina 1005) and my 1/4 inch foot. When I get to the end of a row all I do is keep the needle in the work, lift up the presser foot, pivot, carefully raise the needle and move the work over so the edge of th…

Presenting the new restyled - refashioned sewing box!

Well it's finished - and I'm really pleased with it!
It may not be to every ones taste but it needed to have a little bit of pink in there somewhere!


After taking it apart completely, sanding it down, priming it, spray painting it, trying to put it back together in one go and then lining the compartment it was all worth it. It's been a learning curve!
This is also the first time that I've used spray paint - I'm normally a paint and paint brush kind of girl but now I'm a total convert and can see an addiction forming!
It's definitely worth paying the extra for the can of primer but the UK weather does not help when you're trying to spray paint and the wind is blowing and it's threatening rain!!
Now all I need to do is fill it with all my sewing bits and bobs!


Photos are not of great quality as it is so dull here at the moment! More photos over on flickr!