Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Catch up on Printing

A while a go I posted some photos of fabric that I had printed and I've had a few emails asking how I did it.
This was me experimenting with a range of techniques to create different textures in the actual printing.
First I started with a blank lino block, from which I then cut out my design.


Using the lino as a stamp I covered it with a disperse dye. This type of dye you paint onto paper with, let this dry and then using a heat press (or iron) transfer the image onto fabric.
So once my paper was dry it was onto the fabric. The only downside I can see is that the dyes only transfer the vibrant colours onto synthetic fabrics. You can use natural fabrics but it comes out very faintly.
The positive side is that every little cut from the lino appears in the print which gives it great texture and once the design is transferred that's it! It is completely dry straight away and is also heat fast.


So from the paper to the fabric. I now just need to come up with an idea of what to do with the fabric!



I've also used this design on a screen print which I am really pleased with - will take some photos and post soon!

1 comment:

Trude said...

Thank you for this post. There are so many things I would like to try and I'm adding this to my list.
As for what you could use the fabric for, I think it would make a lovely makeup bag or sewing bits bag.
Trude.