Sunday, November 27, 2022

Jelly Roll rug ❤️

I don't know if you are like me, I think all Quilters are, but my projects to make list is very long.

I am always seeing new patterns, fabrics and projects, although I have a rather large expanding WIP pile that does need my attention!

One of the projects I had been wanting to do was a Jelly Roll Rug. I had already tackled the Jelly Roll Christmas Tree skirt which I love but that only comes out at Christmas time and I wanted something that could go into my little sewing space all year round. 

To make the rug is not a one day project, its also not that hard it just takes time but it came together much quicker than I thought. 

To make the rug you will need:

The Jelly Roll Rug pattern by Roma Lambson of RJ Designs (Roma Quilts on IG).
A jelly roll - I used 20 strips of Shine On by Bonnie and Camille.
Batting cut into 2.5" strips and then joined. I used a roll of Bosal Katahdin on a roll, which is 2.5" wide x 25 yards and is fantastic for this project.
A denim needle - I used a Schmetz Jeans needle 90/14 and didn't have any problems.
Wonder clips.
A Walking foot, although it would work with your standard machine foot. You will be using straight stitch and a zig zag stitch.
A sewing machine extension table or a pile of books to take the weight of the rug as it grows. 

And then you get stitching!!



My finished rug was the small size and came out a 19" x 32.5", is a little bit wobbly in places but after a good press it is fine. I only had my standard extension table that came with my Bernina Artista 170 and have since purchased a new to me much larger extension table and I think this would have helped prevent some of the wobbly bits. 


So if you have lots of Jelly Rolls and are not sure what to do with them then this is a great project. 
For the next one I am going much bigger!!

Happy stitching!!


No comments: